SyntaxHighlighter

2008/10/24

Pumpkins at Half Moon Bay





You know pumpkins are important in Halloween in U.S. They are sold anywhere in these days.

When I went to Half Moon Bay, the place of western California facing Pacific Ocean, which is famous for its agriculture and fishing, I could see many pumpkins. It was a week before, so a few people are there. But there would be crowded when it was a week later, the day of the pumpkin festival in Half Moon Bay on Oct. 18th and 19th, 2008.

The pumpkins were so big! I wondered who can eat and how were they cooked. People found a favorite pumpkin and bought it. It must be a custom in U.S.

In the description of Wikipedia, "Originating in Europe, these lanterns were first carved from a turnip or rutabaga." So other countries don't have pumpkins such many as U.S. in this season. And Wikipedia is introducing that Halloween festival is also held in Japan. But unfortunately it may not be true, I think.

By the way Half Moon Bay is the town which has the bay shaped in the form of crescent moon. The town seems famous in fishing. Fresh(living?) fishes were sold. The kind of fishes is fluke of sole of which I like sushi made of. I got a great information about raw fishes.

At the port of the city there are some restaurant. I ate a clam chowder at the restaurant near the dock. My friend said to me later that "You offten eat it" But it was delicious so that I like it.

0 件のコメント: